As a Managed IT Service provider, one of the biggest threats we are running into is the proliferation of ransomware. Our Partner Datto, a business continuity, disaster recovery provider just put out survey results from a survey they conducted with all of there managed service providers. This is a good indication of how bad this security threat is.
- 97% of 1,100 IT service providers say ransomware attacks on small businesses are becoming more frequent.
- The survey also mentioned that small business clients may not be as concerned as they should as only 34% are concerned as IT service providers are.
- More than 91% percent of the IT services providers report that clients have been victimized by ransomware. 40% of of small business clients have been victimized more than 6 times.
- CryptoLocker is the most common strain impacting small businesses, as it makes up 95% of the attacks.
- The leading cause of ransomware infection is phishing email scam followed by a lack of employee awareness.
- Paying the ransom doesn’t guarantee the return of data.
- The leading industries that are seeing the most ransomware attacks are Professional Services, Healthcare and Construction & Manufacturing.
- Ransomware is targeting cloud-based application as seen by 35 percent of IT service providers. The providers include Dropbox, Office 365 and Google Apps.
The most alarming take away from this report is the fact most Small Business clients are not concerned about it as they should be. The cost for ransom is not the issue, but the cost to your business due to the downtime faced if your organization gets hit with a ransomware attack.
There are several items your small business can do to make sure you protect yourself from Ransomware.
- Provide end user education: https://securingthehuman.sans.org/security-awareness-training/enduser/
- Get Endpoint Protection that has antiransomware features: https://www.sophos.com/lp/ransomware.aspx#
- Have a good and real business continuity solution in place: http://www.datto.com/ransomware
Please contact us if you have any further questions.